Monday, October 27, 2008

Sleep, Swim & Ski in Texas

I woke up some time after 3 am. I could not get back to sleep. I heard the paper clunk outside about 4:30. So, I got up, made coffee and read the paper.

The Monday Fort Worth Star-Telegram was record-breaking thin this morning. It took about 5 minutes to read. Of the 4 or 5 sections in this morning's paper, 2 of them were devoted to sports.

The only news that was remotely interesting was about the Iraqis balking at the new agreement with the U.S. that prolongs our stay. What seems odd to me is we invaded a sovereign nation on the flimsiest of pretenses. That turned out to be wrong. And now we are being all legalistic as to what we want in an agreement with the Iraqi government or we'll take all our marbles and go home?

It got down to 43 last night. I did my regular icy morning swim earlier than usual due to being up so early, as in I was in the cold water soon after the sun came up. I did not last too long.

I was wanting to blog about a couple of TV shows that appall me. One I mentioned before, that being The Real Housewives of Atlanta on Bravo. The other being MTV's disturbing Parental Control pseudo reality show.

But I'm too tired right now to remember all that appalled me about both those shows. I've now watched 3 episodes of the Atlanta one. It is truly jaw-dropping great train wreck TV.

I should be back at full energy in a couple hours. I'm going to Tandy Hills in a bit. That always revives me.

Oh. The skiing photo at the top. That was taken my first winter in Texas, when I lived in a little town on the northern border of Fort Worth called Haslet. The mailbox was in Fort Worth, the house was in Haslet. Those are cross-country skis. I got good use out of them a couple winters ago when we had about 5 inches of snow. I went skiing at Veterans Park in Arlington.

No comments: