Friday, October 24, 2008

It's Freezing In Texas But I'm Still Swimming

At midnight it was 58 here in Fort Worth. When I went swimming this morning it was 43. I did not last too long in the pool. It is 2 hours later and I'm still feeling cold. I've not felt this cold since I was up in Tacoma locked down in the basement.

Tonight the weather prediction is for our first frost of the year.

I don't know if I'll be tempted to see if I can actually get into the water when the air temp is below 32.

This morning, about 5 minutes into the icy pool, Miss Puerto Rico popped up, wearing a heavy jacket and gloves. She told me I was nuts. She may be right.

This morning while getting chilled to the bone it crossed my mind to wonder if a seriously obese person would get cold in cold water. They've got all that built-in insulation. I remember being around a morbidly obese person when I was in Washington last summer. I'd be shivering in the cold and this obese person would tell me I was being ridiculous. That's easy to say when you're sporting a 12 inch layer of insulating adipose tissue while all I've got between me and the elements is a thin T-shirt and thin cargo pants.

No comments: