Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Early Voting in Texas Breaking Records

Well, I've just returned from early voting. The early voting is breaking records all across Texas. You can see from the photo that my polling station at the Handley-Meadowbrook Community Center was very busy.

The line was long but it moved fast. Everyone seemed to be in a happy mood. I over heard one older guy say he thinks everyone in America wants to have a say this time.

The voting machines in Texas are very high tech. After you sign in you are given a piece of paper with a 4 digit code. Mine was 7027. You had to enter the code by spinning a dial til the number you wanted was highlighted and then you hit enter.

This wasn't too confusing to me, but I overheard a lot of people getting a lot of help. I know people my own age, well, one, with seriously degraded thinking who would have been befuddled by the voting machine.

Outside the polling place there were dozens of signs stuck in the ground. I thought that was against the rules. There were also campaigners sitting at a table under the tree you see in the photo.

A semi-interesting side note regarding my polling place. It happens to be the closest polling place to the spot where Lee Harvey Oswald is buried. That's a sentence I could never have imagined writing 20 years ago.

No comments: