Thursday, October 9, 2008

Deep-Fried Turkey in Texas

( With a bit over a week to go til Thanksgiving I Blogged again about Deep-Fried Turkey )

Before I moved to Texas this perverse Texan named Julene tried intensely via email to discourage me from invading her state. She told me all sorts of things that she thought would scare me off. Obviously she failed.

But I remember one thing she told me that I was sure she was making up, that being that in Texas a lot of people deep fry their Thanksgiving turkey. Or buy it from a restaurant already deep-fried.

I did not see how such a thing could be. That and it sounded disgusting. Not as disgusting as this year's State Fair of Texas Big Tex Choice Award winner being deep-fried battered thick bacon. But close to that disgusting.

It was not long upon my arrival in Texas that I saw Turkey Frying Kits for sale.

And it was not long after that that I bought one. I was shocked to see it with my own eyes, that in about a half an hour a big turkey, that would take an oven hours to roast, is done and ready to eat.

And good. As in really good. And not at all greasy. That next summer we had a pool party and deep-fried 15 chickens. That was a production.

I wonder whatever became of that Julene person who tried to convince me not to come to Texas?

I'll wonder about that and let you watch the amusing video below that is all about frying a turkey...or go to my Texas website for more Deep Frying Turkey info and recipes...

No comments: