Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bye Bye Charter Communications, Hello AT & T U-Verse

Exactly on time 2 AT & T installers showed up, a guy and a gal. Everything about them reeked of quality. They even put on these plastic bootie things when they came inside, so as to not to muddy up the carpets. Even though it isn't muddy outside.

Initially they said the install would take up to 3 hours. But they were done in way less than 2. My entire old network system is gone, including the new router I bought 3 weeks ago. The new system is wireless.

The DVR thing looks like it will take some getting used to. But it isn't like I watch a lot of TV. I like the picture in a picture option. That seems useful. The picture quality is much better too.

After the AT & T people left I had the pleasure of calling Charter Communications to cancel them. I got an American on the phone rather quickly, rather than some random Joe in a foreign land. The customer service person tried see if I'd stay if she could sweeten the deal. I told her, honey, it's already done, I'm using AT & T now.

She had the nerve to ask why I switched. As if she didn't know people aren't happy with Charter. So I told her I didn't like losing things like TCM and Bravo along with a rate increase, that AT & T I-verse was cheaper and I got way more, as in 2 DVR player things, a wireless system and way better service.

The Charter person told me I needed to return the modem that apparently I was leasing. I told her she could have someone pick it up. She was not cooperative with that concept. But what are they gonna do? Cancel my service? Nope, that's already been taken care of.

2 comments:

Gar said...

I had that Charter thing at my old house. I recently moved. Charter called and asked for my Cable Modem back and I told them it was my cable modem. They said, "Oh, yeah, it says here that you did purchase it."

Now, every time I go back to the old house there is a post-it on the door from someone contracting with Charter to pick up my old equipment. If you ignore it long enough, they'll send someone over.

Anonymous said...

they will charge you for the equipment if it isn't returned. just letting you know.