Friday, September 26, 2008

Washington Mutual Survivor

My nerves are on edge. This morning I found in my inbox 5 emails sent just after midnight from a former acquaintance. I'm concerned she may be in the throes of some sort of meltdown. I've seen this happen before.

But what's really got my nerves on edge is the non-stop financial meltdown. No, I'm not talking about my personal non-stop financial meltdown, I'm talking about that other one to which they can't seem to agree on a solution in Washington, D.C., with a big meltdown at the White House yesterday.

Then to open the morning paper to read that my bank was seized by the Feds overnight in the biggest bank collapse in U.S. history, well, it just makes me nervous.

I'm guessing the new WaMu branch being built near me is likely not going to be opened.

This morning's woeful article about the WaMu collapse in the Seattle P-I said the collapse was precipitated by $16.7 billion in deposits being pulled since September 15.

I'm thinking maybe I should go pull 1 or 2 of my billions out of WaMu and put them somewhere safer. Though, supposedly the money is currently safe. But what if the warned about Financial Pearl Harbor happens? Will any money be safe if that happens, that isn't tucked under your mattress?

No comments: