Wednesday, September 17, 2008

WaMu And Other Economic Disasters

Washington Mutual pulled out of Krogers, here in Texas, a couple years ago. This made the closest WaMu to me about 9 miles. The 18 mile roundtrip to deposit a check costs a gallon of gas. Something seems wrong about that.

I'd been noticing a new construction near my friendly neighborhood Super Wal-Mart. Last week it identified itself. It's a new WaMu branch. This is a good thing.

But, WaMu seems to be in trouble. When they pulled out of Krogers they were in trouble. And now those troubles have gotten way worse. So, I'll just assume this new WaMu won't get finished, so as to avoid anymore disappointment in my disappointment heavy life.

All these bad things happening to famous names like Merrill Lynch makes me nervous. I fear we are heading towards some bad bad times.

John McCain wants to assemble a commission to look into these vexing economic issues. Wasn't it a commission that recommended all that de-regulating that's led to the desperate situation we're now in? Wasn't John McCain part of a long ago bank type scandal? Something called the Keating Five. Or Fifteen. It's so hard to remember. I guess I could look it up.

At least Barack Obama seems to understand we've got some serious problems. Though I don't hear a lot of re-assuring solutions. Probably because there aren't any.

No comments: