Monday, September 1, 2008

Prison Break's Break Is Over

My TV viewing has diminished greatly of late. By late, I mean the past couple years. Tonight Prison Break is back on Fox. I find this show very entertaining. Due mostly to its plot being so over the top ridiculous with a non-stop need to suspend disbelief at a level I've never seen on any other TV show. Then again, there is LOST.

I don't know if Prison Break is still being filmed here in the Dallas/Fort Worth zone. In one of its more amusing lapses, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, with its ridiculous need to mention any connection to Fort Worth by anything on TV, didn't know that Prison Break's prison for season 2 was filmed near the Fort Worth Stockyards.

The Star-Telegram actually described the set of the prison as being in an abandoned warehouse in a town near Dallas! Fort Worth doesn't like being described as a town near Dallas.

The plot on Prison Break is so bizarrely convoluted I'm not sure I remember where we left off. Season 1 ended up with the prison break and the boys on the run. Season 2 ended up with some of the boys back in prison. Season 3 ended with most back out of prison with 1 or 2 back in.

Last season the doctor, Sara, who helped the main character, Michael Scoffield, escape along with his brother Lincoln Burrows, who was scheduled to be executed for a framed up murder, by the Vice-President, or was she the President? Anyway, Sara was held a hostage by the people behind all the bad deeds, along with Michael's brother's son, in order to force Michael to help another guy break out of the Panamanian prison.

See what I mean by convoluted? Anyway, back to Sara. By season 3 Michael and Sara's romance had bloomed, into what I don't remember. So, when Michael was not cooperating fast enough, to get his cooperation, Sara's head was delivered to Lincoln.

When Michael found out Sara had been killed he, of course, vowed revenge. Which leads us to tonight, with Michael out of prison, with some part of the U.S. government now on his side, with him pointing a gun at the person he believes killed Sara.

But, what Michael doesn't know and which will be one of Prison Break's more convoluted plot twists, is that Sara is alive. But we saw her killed. Didn't we? Pretty much Prison Break combines all the worst soap opera cliches with all the best prison movies with all the best conspiracy movies with some of the best comedy movies. I'm guessing this season at some point some of the characters are going to break into song and Prison Break will become a musical for a bit.

It's a 2 hour Prison Break season premiere tonight. I've not managed 2 hours of TV in a long time. I suspect tonight will be no exception.

1 comment:

Lauri Evans said...

BUT D-Dude...what about 24?????
I am so annoyed I've had to wait this long to see "Jack Bauer" do more things with his cell phone than I can do with my laptop. AND I don't have hostiles firing guns at my adorable blond curls.
ooxoxx lulu