Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hiking and Picnicking at Rockledge Park on Lake Grapevine

It seems like I'd just gone to Rockledge Park on Lake Grapevine. But it was way back on Memorial Day, at the start of summer. It was hot and crowded on Memorial Day. Today there were a lot of people playing in the water, but the park was not crowded. And it was hot.

Today me and my entourage mainly stayed on the beach, with one renegade taking the upper trails.

There were several people fishing. Unlike some lakes in Texas you can eat fish you catch in Lake Grapevine. Even clams grow in this lake. I saw a lot of clam shells today. I doubt there are any fresh water crabs in the lake. But I wouldn't be too shocked if there were.

Lake Grapevine is a legitimate Army Corps of Engineers flood control project, unlike the dubious Fort Worth Trinity River Vision. The Army Corps of Engineers built several nice parks on the shores of Lake Grapevine. There are dozens of miles of mountain bike and hiking trails. Well maintained by the Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association (DORBA) people.

I believe Lake Grapevine is my favorite outdoor place in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex. I used to live way closer to it and played there way more often. Now it's only a few times a year.

Lake Grapevine was made 50 or 60 years ago when a giant earthen dam blocked a little creek. I think the name is Denton Creek, but I'm not sure. You drive across the dam to get to Rockledge Park from the town of Grapevine. Part of the road across the dam goes over the dam's flood spillway. I don't know if the lake has ever gotten flooded enough to go over the spillway. I have seen Lake Grapevine high enough to flood the parks and cover the picnic tables. If it got high enough to go over the spillway, this would be a bad thing. Grapevine Mills, a mall on steroids, is in the shadow of the dam. I think it'd get wet if water went over the spillway.

Today when we first got to Rockledge there were dozens of what appeared to be students of some sort, with clipboards, climbing all over the cliffs. I don't know what they were doing. The photo does not do justice to how odd it looked.

After the hiking, Costco pizzas were our picnic. It was a good picnic. After the picnic I went to my favorite grocery, Sprouts Farmers Market, in Southlake. Got all sorts of good stuff. Sprouts is opening more stores in this metro zone, with one rumored to be in Fort Worth. I hope it is in my zone of Fort Worth. That'd be a good thing.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

How silly to go to a park and roam around with clipboards in hand! The mental image of that is quite funny!