Sunday, September 7, 2008

Charter Dis-Communications

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I returned from Tacoma to find I could no long find Turner Classic Movies or Bravo on my TV. I called Charter Communication and got some foreigner speaking gibberish from an off-shore, non-U.S. customer support center that provided no customer support, just the aforementioned gibberish.

So, yesterday I saw one of my favorite movies, The Night of the Hunter, was on TCM. So, I decided to go to the Charter Communications website and see if I could find any info or an email customer support address.

I found several customer support options, including email. I took the email route. The first reply came today. And it was gibberish. It's obvious that Charter also has non-Americans doing their email support. What is the point of them spending money on this type of customer service?

What follows is the email exchanges, 2 of them, first my question, then Charter's answer, then my follow up question with Charter's next answer.

I came home from a trip to find I no longer get TCM or Bravo. I then learned TCM has been moved from 49 to something like 78. However, when I tune to 78 I get a blue screen. What gives? And how do I get the missing channels, that I thought I was paying for, back?

Thank for contacting Charter Communications. My name is Susan. I'll be walking through your concern today regarding your favorite channels.

First of all, thank you for your e-mail submission. I understand, how frustrating it could be that we can't view our favorite channel. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. In line with the 2009 cable digitalization of service, your favorite channel is no longer available in Basic and Expanded cable sesrvice. It was transferred to digital service. I am very sorry for this short notice.

You may check our website at www.charter.com for all channel changes. Click on the ; ; . TV Guide Channel, Guide button on remote control. If you have additional concern please have a live chat with us. You can also call 1-888-438-2427 if this is more convenient for you. If there is anything further I can assist you with please let me know.

So how do I view the channels that have been moved to digital service? And why am I being charged the same amount if my service has been reduced?

Dear Mr./Ms. Durango:
Thank you for contacting Charter Communications. My name is Mae. It's my pleasure to reply to your email.

To see the channel lineup in your address, please access this link: http://***charter.com/Visitors/Channels.aspx. In addition, if you want to know what programs will be aired in your favorite channels, please go to http://***charter.net and click on the "Tv" tab on the upper right side of the main window; then, you'll be routed to another window wherein you'll be prompted to enter your Charter Account user name and password or, if you're not yet registered, you can just enter the ZIP code in your area.

If you have any additional questions and needs further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again through chat at www.charter.com for further assistance. You may also contact us by phone at 1-888-438-2427.

Thank you and Godspeed.

Mae

My favorite part of the second reply is the "Godspeed" part.

No comments: