Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bad Taste, Good Taste, No Taste

Some wise guy once said good taste is better than bad taste, but bad taste is better than no taste.

I think it's in bad taste to talk about your own taste level. As in to say something like "I have extremely good taste." What an odd thing to say. That should be for others to judge, not oneself.

I knew this guy years ago, let's call him Bussell Fatz. He was one of the dumber people I've ever known. The dumber a person is the easier it is to be self-deluded, or so it has seemed to me. Bussell Fatz would often comment on other people's level of "class." And on his own high level of "class." He'd also talk about how artistic he was. And what good taste he had.

Bussell's artisticness consisted of making hideous wall hangings out of vinyl and carpet. He had no class, no artistic ability and really bad taste. It was a funny, sad spectacle to witness.

Bussell dated another former acquaintance of mine. They made quite a pair. Both self-proclaimers of extremely good taste. And high class. I remember seeing them together once and they had 5 different versions of plaid going on between the two of them.

That girl friend of Bussell's, in addition to having extremely good taste, was probably the biggest slob I have ever known. Totally slovenly. Living like a pig in a sty. How can one have extremely good taste and live like a pig? It's a perplexing conundrum. I don't think I'll devote much mental energy to this particular conundrum.

I like that word "conundrum."

No comments: