Tuesday, September 2, 2008

American Airlines Jet Lands Safely at LAX During Lunch

I turned on the TV during my lunch break. I thought I might get some Republican National Convention or Gustav news.

But instead all the cable news stations were excitedly waiting for an American Airlines Boeing 737 to land. The jet had blown a tire on take off.

It then circled around the LA area for hours dumping jet fuel while LAX emergency crews prepared for the emergency landing.

Those unlucky people on board had been expecting a direct flight to Toronto. Instead they got a long tour of the Los Angeles area. I don't know if the people on board got food and drinks during the ordeal.

Fox News had a copter in the air shooting video of planes landing. We got to watch a couple land while the news people pondered if this was the injured jet or not.

Very suspenseful.

And then the jet with the bad tire finally came into view. We watched live as it made a perfectly smooth landing.

And then the injured jet became non-news.

I've watched this type thing before where they'll break away right at the key moment so as to spare us viewers the horror of watching something horrible.

This time the camera did not blink. I don't know why.

I also don't know why they cover this type thing. Though it does make for some dramatic TV viewing, I guess. Somehow it seems sort of irresponsible to me.

No comments: