Monday, June 30, 2008

My Texas Favorites

Someone I will call anonymous made note of the fact that I seem to find a lot to whine about regarding Texas. Anonymous was curious if there is anything I like that I've seen in Texas.

Without putting a lot of thought into it, here goes with my list of my favorite things I've seen in Texas. Now, keep in mind, Texas is a huge state and there are large areas of the state I've not seen.

In no particular order.

Galveston. I liked everything about Galveston, Moody Gardens, the beach, the town itself, the smell of saltwater, the restaurants.

San Marcos. I loved the way the river ran through the town with its crystal clear water burbling from an underground spring. Aquarena Springs is pretty much the clearest water I recollect ever seeing. And the long shut down amusement park with its rides still in place, but covered with vegetation, was very eerie and interesting to walk through. San Marcos is a university town. It reminds me very much of Bellingham in Washington.

San Antonio. The Riverwalk is nice. San Antonio has a new look, shiny and clean. Reminds me of Seattle.

Fort Worth Stockyards. I always enjoy going to the Stockyards. As do visitors from up north.

Fair Park in Dallas. Great place to roller blade. I like the art deco buildings.

Granbury. A very scenic small Texas town that puts on the best festivals and parades. The Granbury 4th of July Parade is the best parade I've ever watched.

Dinosaur Valley State Park. Great hiking and mountain biking. And there are dinosaur remains. Well, dinosaur paw prints. Not exactly remains.

Fossil Rim Wildlife Center. This is near Dinosaur Valley. I think driving through Fossil Rim is the most fun I've had in Texas. I know it's the most I've laughed. Who knew zebras could be so funny?

Enchanted Rock State Park. Reminds me of Utah. It's a great, scenic hike to the top of the rock. Lots of people.

White Rock Lake in Dallas. It's like a bigger version of Green Lake in Seattle, but with fewer people hiking, biking and blading. And you can't swim in White Rock Lake. Why? I don't know. It's fun to bike the trail all around the lake.

Canton First Mondays. I'd been to flea market, craft show type things before, but nothing like what takes place in Canton each month. It's huge. As in enormous.

Waco. I like Waco's Cameron Park. Great mountain biking. Waco is a cool looking town with a river running through it with a suspension bridge built by the same guy who built the Brooklyn Bridge.

Lake Grapevine. Great parks, great mountain biking. And I used to like to swim there til I was attacked by a rampaging turtle.

River Legacy Park in Arlington. This may be the best park in the D/FW Metroplex. Miles of paved trails. Miles of mountain bike trails. Lots of people. Lots of wildlife, from snakes to bobcats to armadilloes to fireflies.

Tandy Hills Park in Fort Worth. My favorite place to hike, by far. It's Texas before civilization arrived, hilly native prairie with the most wildflowers I've seen.

The Parker County Peach Festival. I've been to this twice. Enjoyed it both times. Weatherford is another cool looking small Texas town with a courthouse square. Like Granbury and Waxahachie.

The State Fair of Texas. It can be exhausting. But fun. It's in Dallas at Fair Park.

The Dallas Farmers Market. Visitors from the Pacific Northwest never fail to say the Dallas Farmers Market reminds them of Pike Place in Seattle. It is very similar. But no flying fish, multiple restaurants, waterfront hillclimb or multiple levels. But a lot of really good fruits and vegetables, and more, in a colorful setting.

No comments: