Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fort Worth Star-Telegram Shrinks Some More


The Star-Telegram announced on Monday that it is shrinking again. This time by 130 employees. The Star-Telegram, or Startlegram, as the locals call it, was bought by McClatchy Co. two years ago. It's been downhill ever since.

McClatchy Co. also owns the Tacoma Tribune. Lulu told me the Tacoma Tribune shrunk on Monday too. From my reading experience, the Tacoma Tribune is a much better paper than the Startlegram. Takes way longer to read, because there is way more to read, in a paper in a city of 200,000, where the Star-Telegram is in a city of almost 700,000. But with a lot less readers. And a smaller paper.

On Monday, McClatchy Co. cut about 1,400 jobs from its 30 papers.

The Star-Telegram is going to increase its full subscription rates by $1.50 to $17.50 a month. The Star-Telegram says this monthly rate is less than other major Texas newspapers, like the newspapers of Houston, San Antonio, Dallas and Austin. Uh. Maybe those newspapers cost more and that cost is justifiable because you get way more of a newspaper.

With the Star-Telegram it's just like what I read today that Kellogg's is going to do with their cereal boxes, as in put less cereal in the box, but charge the same. The Star-Telegram has been putting less news in their box and charging the same. Now they are going to be putting less news in their box. And charging more.

But. I don't think they'll be charging me more. I'm thinking I'm about done with the Star-Telegram and it's time for it to go bye-bye from my morning doorstep. I won't pay more for less.

No comments: