Sunday, June 29, 2008

Back Ache In Texas

Years ago, every once in awhile, I'd put my back out. This has only happened once since I moved to Texas. Til today. The previous Texas back ache was caused by leaning forward to pull a lever while driving a riding lawnmower.

Today's Texas back ache is computer related. As in one of my computers refused to come on. It'd light up for a second or two and then go back to sleep.

I figured putting in a new power supply was the best bet. I'd not operated on computer innards in a couple years. I was easily able to disconnect all the connections. Except for the big one that powers the motherboard. It would not come loose.

I should have put the computer on a table, rather than kneel over it on the floor. At some point, when I was tugging on that last connector, my lower back started to hurt.

By the time I got the new power supply installed I was not easily able to get vertical, could not stand up straight.

So, the new power supply fixed the computer. Now I had to try and fix me. I laid on the floor til I got my back stabilized enough that I could walk. Put on a swimming suit and went to the pool. I figured swimming would be a good thing for a back ache.

And it was. I swam for about an hour. Got out of the pool. No pain. I laid down on a lounge chair and called my big sister. Big mistake. By the time that half hour talk was over and I went to stand up, I couldn't. The pain is excruciating and causes me to let out these yelps of pain.

So, I got back in the pool. At first I was only able to use my arms. I'd sorta become like FDR at Warm Springs. I could swim, with no use of my legs. But leg function quickly returned. After about 20 more minutes of swimming I got out and stayed vertical.

Then I decided going on a walk would be more good therapy. So, I went to Oakland Lake Park. Got there, got out of my vehicle and once more I could not get vertical and I was back letting out those yelps of pain.

I forced myself as vertical as possible and tried to walk. Gradually my walking function returned. By the end of walking at Oakland Lake Park I was pain free.

Driving back here my vehicle began to sputter. Gas gauge low. I got to a gas station and somehow managed to not notice I pulled up to a diesel pump. I'd already swiped the credit card through the reader when I realized I did not want diesel. Got that canceled and got to another pump. I then realized I'd gotten vertical with no problem.

I got the gas pumped and got back here and got out of my vehicle with no problem staying vertical. I have had no yelping in pain episodes since.

So, I'm hoping this is a very short-live back ache incident and not a multi-month one like my other Texas back ache. I'm under enough stress right now, I don't need to add a chronic back ache to the mix.

No comments: